Last year I was given a large Crock Pot for Christmas, or slow cooker. This year, I was given a fantastic cook book to go along with it. It’s called “Fix-It and Forget-It, Christmas Cookbook, 600 Slow Cooker Holiday Recipes.” I am really enjoying this cookbook. There is nothing better than the smell of slow cooked meals permeating the house.
My husband picked out the Lemon Chicken recipe and I modified it a bit to suit how I like to cook. I don’t like to cook things before I, well, cook them. So if a recipe calls for braising, or browning, I usually won’t. Such is the case with this recipe.
MY NOTES: I did not brown the chicken pieces. I used about 7 lbs of pre-cut thighs with the skin on. I also didn’t thaw the lemonade I just put it on top of the chicken and I added lots of pepper. I love lemon pepper chicken. I also added the cornstarch to the slow cooker at the beginning. I got a little ahead of myself, as I just realized I was suppose to add it at the end. While I was typing it into this blog to be exact. It didn’t make too much of a difference. This recipe is delicious and could even be used as a BBQ for the summer. The chicken is so tender it falls off the bone and most of the above ingredients are found in sweet BBQ sauce. I suggest adding some “red pepper flakes” for some kick and serving with baked beans and cole slaw. A very versatile and delicious dinner!
St. Mary’s Ontario Canada
Fix-It and Forget-It by Phyllis Pellman Good
Good Books, Intercourse, PA 17534
Makes 10-12 servings
Prep. Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 3-4 hours
Ideal slow cooker size: 5 qt.
1/4-1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
5-6 lbs. chicken, cut into pieces
2-4 Tbsp. oil, divided
1 can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. ketchup
1 Tbsp. vinegar
2 Tbsp. cold water
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- Combine flour and salt in a shallow bowl. Dredge chicken pieces in it, one at a time.
- Place 2 Tbsp. oil in large skillet. Brown several pieces of chicken in oil at a time. Be careful not to crowd the skillet, or the chicken will steam and not brown. Continue until all pieces are browned on both sides, adding more oil as necessary.
- As you finish browning pieces of chicken, place them in slow cooker.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together lemonade concentrate, brown sugar, ketchup and vinegar. Pour over chicken
- Cover. Cook on High 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken, place on platter, cover with foil and keep warm.
- In a small bowl blend cold water into cornstarch.
- Stir into juices in slow cooker until well blended. Cover and continue cooking juices several minutes, until thickened and bubbly.
- Spoon some of thickened juice over chicken to serve.
- Place remaining juices in serving bowl and pass as topping for chicken and cooked rice…..”